Friday 4 April 2014

That Deadly Vice of Pride

That I am a vicefully proud person is no secret to anyone who knows me well. I am absolutely horrible at this. If "big headed" were a literal expression, instead of being figurative, my head would have moons orbiting, it would have that much gravitational pull.

What I reflected on whilst on the bus trip home today is that one's pride is always about some good one has. This seems obvious enough, but I had never considered it in depth. I had always thought one is proud in general, not proud in particulars. See, I can fool myself into thinking I am humbler than I am by thinking about the areas I am humble in: I am dreadful at music, dance and art, I have a fairly poor memory, and dreadful eye sight. I suppose one can also say that I am humble in the areas where I am not easily insulted: it would be hard to care less for being told I am ugly, uncultured or ill-informed.

There are, however, two areas where I am incredibly proud, in such a way so as to be deadly. These are, in a sense, my only two virtues, but because they are my virtues, when mixed with vices they are capable of killing me spiritually: I am quite intelligent, and I am an extremely productive person. Compliments in these areas make me soar. Insinuations that these are places I have an elevated view of myself tear me down. To be quite honest, I think both of these are true qualities of myself: I am no idiot, and I get a lot done. The problem is, I like everyone to know about it, something which a good friend and priest rightly rebuked me for it today, in private. It sort of stung at the time, but it was exactly what I needed. I ended up thinking about it all the way home.

Just from a practical point of view, because I have such a pedastal view of myself, I cannot improve either of them. Precisely because people say I manage to do so much, I cannot disciple myself to do more, even though I waste an enormous amount of time daily on games or trivialities. Precisely because I view my intelligence as enormous, I am incapable of studying effectively - for the true genius does not need to study, right? I end up doing quite well at university regardless, because I really do love the things I study, so learning about them becomes part of my daily life. But man, if could get past my inflated ego, I'd do so much better.

Come on though, I know what that says, heck, I derived it -
I really am a genius, right? Amusingly, as painful as that looks
 if you're unfamiliar with it, it's actually not that complicated.
This obvious insight of pride being about particulars in my life, and not about generalities, has led me to a new resolve: I am going to avoid making myself out to be intelligent or productive. In fact, I am going to try and create the opposite image: that I am a little dim-witted and spend a lot of time on my Playstation 3 (which is now predominantly used by my brother, actually, since I have almost no real spare time - or at least, booting up the PS3 seems like a commitment to time wasting, whereas what I end up doing is always that "last check" or the "quick sesh"). In a quiet way, I will still try and be intelligent, because being smart is a good thing. It is when my desire is for other people to know that I actually do know what those long fancy words mean in philosophy or theology, or can actually understand those nasty looking strings of symbols that make up the maths involved in my research project, or, like today, actually do know that the Liturgy of the Hours has the Ave Regina Caelorum and not the Salve Regina this time of the year - it is when others knowing is the actual goal that this becomes problematic. It is the difference between my (real) excitement about my research project in a really cool area, and my excitement that people know I have a research project in a really cool area. One is good, the other...not so much.

This might seem trivial to some, but it will no doubt be a challenge far greater than mastering Fourier transforms for me (which was surprisingly painless). From now on, I do not study "physics, mathematics and philosophy", I study Science and Arts - which is a decidedly less impressive way of putting it. It is my way, I think, of doing what Jesus said in the sermon on the mount, to the crowd which lived in a culture that gave glory based on piety:

"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (Mt. 6:15-18) [cf. comment]

The point is not to stop fasting - or in my case, not to stop being intelligent or getting things done - but to do so in secret. Hopefully, forcing myself to make small changes like that will precipitate me fulfilling those petitions of the Litany of Humility:

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed,

Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being loved...
From the desire of being extolled ...
From the desire of being honoured ...
From the desire of being praised ...
From the desire of being preferred to others...
From the desire of being consulted ...
From the desire of being approved ...
From the fear of being humiliated ...
From the fear of being despised...
From the fear of suffering rebukes ...
From the fear of being calumniated ...
From the fear of being forgotten ...
From the fear of being ridiculed ...
From the fear of being wronged ...
From the fear of being suspected ...

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I ...
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease ...
That others may be chosen and I set aside ...
That others may be praised and I unnoticed ...
That others may be preferred to me in everything...
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should… 

+AMDG+

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this blog post! It was really introspective and I gained some insights about myself while reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If being proud of yourself and thinking highly of yourself get you better grades and also keep you happy, why change?
    I honestly use arrogance as a way to motivate myself to study harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. u r just proud of what u know or ur talent, there is nothing wrong with that... its like when someone is good at painting/drawing/graphics design, he'll post his works on social media for people to see as he's proud of the effort or he knows they're good and may just want to to hear peoples opinions or validations... its up to the audience/viewer to think if the his action is conceited or not... some people feel jealous and tries to put the other person down when they think they are ok or good at something but someone is just better at it. If they think they are bad at, for example drawing or maths they wouldn't even give a shit about someone who is good at it, but instead get amazed... people just need to be more understanding that some people just want to share their abilities. arrogance to me is someone who always one-up the other person, who focuses his life to show people that he is bigger and better than others. I think u are insightful and intelligent, not arrogant at all... keep it up, i enjoy reading your blogs, makes me think as well lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this to be quite an insightful read. It's something I've thought about before, and it's something I've struggled with. Think about what happened once you reach a specialized area of research: you put in a year or more worth of effort, and only to impress the two or three people in the world that understand the problem fully. So in that regard, the high impressions of other people will eventually fade off, and all you will be left with is the pleasure of knowing you've done a good job.

    But with this said, I know that I have been particularly encouraged by your expressions of intelligence and productivity, particular how much you read and even writing a blog such as this. Actually, it's been one of the driving factors to read more and memorize recently. So, even though doing things for the purpose of pride is short-sighted, don't you think self-expression of an inquisitive mind can have a great and positive (even essential) impact on other people?

    ReplyDelete
  5. try this simple question: what are the maximum and minimum values of sin x cos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that sin(x)*cos(x) or sin(x) and cos(x) separately? The first has a maximum of 1/2 at x=pi/4 radians, and a minimum of -1/2 at the corresponding trough with the phase shift. Everyone knows that sin(x) and cos(x) have maximums of 1 and minimums of -1.

      Why?

      Delete